Well today is 1 January 2017, and it’s my second New Year in adult life that I have been sober (the first was last year when I was pregnant; this year breastfeeding is to blame). I barely remembered that today is Sunday – with Andrew off work for the Christmas break, I have lost track of weekdays versus weekends.
No Sunday lunch for us today – we’ve overdone the roasted meat recently, and are still quite full up from last night’s epic T-bone steaks, although I did make a dent in the Christmas cheese earlier.
I served the steaks with homemade béarnaise sauce (made in my KitchenAid cook processor) and homemade triple cooked chips (made in my brand new deep fat fryer).
For starters I’d used up the leftover Christmas salad and topped it with prawns sautéed with parsley and garlic;
and for pudding I used up the Christmas cream and citrus fruit by making lemon possets, alongside a cheeky glass of champagne.
My plan for 2017 is to continue with Meat Free Mondays (maybe one day Andrew will stop bitching about it!) and restart my Cookbook Challenge series. So starting the week off with salmon and vegetables tonight, here’s what we have planned:
- Monday – we’re off out for the afternoon so will play today by ear – maybe beans on toast?
- Tuesday – lardon and tomato pasta
- Wednesday – Toulouse sausages with lentils and spinach
- Thursday – chicken thigh stew with dumplings
- Friday – prawn curry with homemade chapatis
- Saturday – shepherds pie jackets
- Sunday – roast chicken with Pommes Anna from Anthony Bourdain’s new book ‘Appetites’
What are your plans for this first week of 2017? Wishing you a very Happy New Year.